Whether you have allergies or asthma, or you just want to avoid exposures to indoor contaminants and allergens, this book will teach you how to have a healthier home.
In this thoroughly revised edition of My House Is Killing Me Jeffrey C. and Connie L. May draw on the dramatic personal stories of their clients to help readers understand the links between indoor environmental conditions and human health. Explaining how air conditioning, finished basements, and other home features affect indoor air quality, the authors offer a step-by-step approach to identifying, controlling, and even eliminating the sources of indoor pollutants and allergens. This new edition includes
- more than 60 color photographs
- expanded coverage on the dangers posed by volatile organic compounds (VOCs) produced by such common items as paint, carpet, and household cleaning products
- up-to-date information on the potential risks of installing spray polyurethane foam (SPF) insulation
- completely new case studies of people who improved their indoor air quality by following the authors' advice
- brand-new chapters, including " 'Trojan Horse' Allergens," "The Three Ps--Pets, Pests, and People," "Indoor Air Quality in Multi-Unit Buildings," and "Testing and Remediation."
Reading My House Is Killing Me lets you see your house the way an expert would. Along with offering a wealth of practical advice and proven solutions for various problems, the Mays include a glossary of terms and a list of valuable resources. This book is a must for all home occupants as well as perfect for those contemplating moving to or purchasing a property.
Jeffrey C. May was educated as an organic chemist and holds certifications as a microbial consultant and an indoor air quality professional. He is principal scientist at May Indoor Air Investigations LLC, where he specializes in identifying the causes of mold, odor, and moisture problems in homes, schools, and offices. In 2018, he was inducted into the Indoor Air Quality Association's Hall of Fame. Connie L. May is a certified indoor air quality technician at May Indoor Air Investigations LLC. Together, they are the coauthors of Jeff May's Healthy Home Tips: A Workbook for Detecting, Diagnosing, and Eliminating Pesky Pests, Stinky Stenches, Musty Mold, and Other Aggravating Home Problems and The Mold Survival Guide: For Your Home and for Your Health.